Proxy help w/Linux and one or two NIC cards?

My network setup at home consists of a Linksys broadband gateway/router
connected to Comcast and several machines branching off of it.   I have
Debian Woody installed on one box, and port forwarding enabled on the
Linksys to point to the Debian box to reflect the open incoming proxy
port.

Now, I have never set up a proxy, but I know it should not be that
difficult.   I thought I might be able to get away with one NIC.   Since I
seem to keep missing something in Squid, and I've bookmarked some good web
sites describing Squid's options in detail, also found the firewall-howto
which has indicated (reminded me) of the possible need for two NICs, so I
scrounged and installed a second NIC.

If someone already has Squid, or any other proxy server running on a
Linux [Debian] box, please email me the config so I can at least learn
from it.   Also please educate if I still need two NICs, unless the config
shows.

My internal addressing is static 192.168 for all machines, which include
the two NICs in the proxy box.

Thanks for any help, and the hand-holding.   I'm eager to learn.

Scott