Squid trial and error [message]

Well, I tried using my gateway from a web browser of an external machine
ported via X11.   The error I got was:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.cnn.com/

The following error was encountered:

    * Access Denied.

      Access control configuration prevents your request from being
allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel
this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.
Generated Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:22:43 GMT by debian.ehrlichtronics.com
(Squid/2.4.STABLE6)

The error obviously shows that the port is visible to the outside.
It now seems like my configuration of redirecting to a new port is broken.
Ideas on how to fix?

Also, I'll be searching on how to add authentication to squid (or
somewhere else on the system, if more appropriate).  Thanks for any
assistance.

Scott