to linux or not to linux...

David Hummel wrote:
> If you can give me one compelling reason to purchase RHEL for a
> workstation or laptop when there are so many excellent
> community-supported distributions out there, then I would be willing to
> pay also.  Otherwise you are just lining the pockets of Red Hat when the
> money could have been donated to the FSF, or elsewhere.
I disagree. I think that purchasing from any company that is using GNU
or another OpenSource License is sending a message. If you are willing
to support a company (not just an idea) by putting up your hard earned
cash, then I think it has value to the other, non-commercial ventures
that are available. If companies like RedHat, Suse, Ximian and others
were to go out of business, it would be a dramatic blow to those very
same comunity-supported distributions. Not only does it send the message
to corporate America that OpenSource might NOT be viable, but there is a
relatively large loss of returned code that the community-supported
versions would then not have available. If you don't buy ever buy it,
then you might as well buy Microsoft.

> If you're
> thinking that purchasing RHEL is supporting the community, it is to the
> extent that Red Hat is, but IMHO, there are better ways to do so
> (contributing code, reporting bugs, advocating Linux, starting an open
> source project, etc.).
Those are other ways, but in my opinion they are only different ways,
not necessarily "better". Supporting Linux isn't just contributing code.
It's supporting the companies that sell it, the companies &
organizations that champion it, and the people that support it; not just
with volunteer efforts or lip service, but with hard cash. The FSF is a
great organization and donating to them a great idea, but indicating
that giving money to RedHat or Suse (my preference) is a bad idea is
itself a REALLY bad idea. Unless you WANT to see Bill Gates rule the
universe ;-).
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi