Speakers and topics for next year for the BLU

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> We're looking for ideas for speakers and topics for next year.
> I'd like to have someone who can talk about the different virtual machines,
> such as VMWare, Win4Lin, Plex86, and others that might be relevant.

Nice.  We should look into this.

> I'm talking to Novell to see if I can get someone from Novell to speak,
> especially since Novell moved its headquarters to Waltham and Ximian is
> just a few blocks away from MIT.

Any particular topic, or just a "what are we up to, and buy our stuff"?

> A few people suggested a meeting on POSIX thread programming (I agree to
> present this if I was unable to get Dave Butenhof). Embedded Linux is
> another topic we've had before, but is of interest.

If this topic is of interest to many, maybe we can expand it to cover
different languages, like C++ and Java.  I've done some thread programming
in Java and might be able to put together a presentation on it if I have
the time and there is interest.

> Another area I'd like to explore is areas where Linux is used in products,
> but we never see, such as telephone switches.

I like it.  Maybe some talk on Embedded Linux.  Maybe we can get someone
down for that.  We may want to hold that off until Sep/Oct after the
Embedded Systems Conference in September 12-15.

Question: Would people interested in embedded Linux rather have a talk
about it BEFORE the ESC conference to learn if they are interested in it,
or AFTER the ESC conference when there might be more content?

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D "Remember amateurs built the ark
DK KD  professionals built the Titanic."
DDDD                                                                 Unknown