to linux or not to linux...

On Monday 20 December 2004 10:47, Stephen Adler wrote:
> My new notebook is on the fedex delivery truck and should be in my
> hands within hours... :) But, now I have to deal with the inevitable..
> windows XP etc. etc.
>
> But, looking on the bright side, this would be an ideal opportunity
> to do something radical.. like switch distro's for example. So,
> I'm wondering if anyone would care to chime in.
>
> 1) Should I load fedora core 3 (which is what I was planning on
> doing...)
> 2) Switch to enterprise linux 4
> 3) Switch to SuSE
> 4) Mandrake?
> 5) Debian?
First, I personally prefer SuSE.
I just got a new PC at work (HP Compaq D530C desktop). One of the first
things I did was to install SuSE 9.2 Professional from the DVD. I screwed
up the first install because I was using a KVM, but the second install went
perfectly with everything working. SuSE resized the Windows XP NTFS
partition, set up the boot manager (GRUB), et. al. I had absolutely no
issues with drivers. I also have both KDE and GNOME installed.

I do not advise you to use an Enterprise Linux (RHAS or SLES) on a
workstation. The enterprise servers do not contain some of the nice things
you want on a personal system. There should be no problem with Fedora Core
3. The other Linux guy in my department specifically installed Fedora Core
3 on his new PC. I think he did have some problems with the partitioning,
but I don't have the specifics.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group