Slightly OT: Sharing files between people across the US.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, David Backeberg wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Ben Jackson wrote:
> > Where I don't have to double their DSL costs because I need SDSL + Static
> > IPs, along with buying a new server.
> If you're not radically increasing your current bandwidth requirements,
> you won't _need_ a static IP. Try any of the many free dynamic DNS
> services like no-ip.com

Sadly, their current 'business DSL' is 1.5M/128K up, I've used it for
transfering some of their files while they use their Internet, and it
drove me batty speed wise.

> I don't know their current provider, but my discovery is many dynamic
> services really don't change their IP addresses for months, so if you want
> to be risky, you could register a URL for $15-ish and point it directly to
> that address.

Verizon, and their address seems to change any time they disconnect for
more then a few minutes.

Someone suggested off-list Groove Networks' Groove Workspace. I will be
checking that out as a alternative.

--
/"\  Ben Jackson
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/