Slightly OT: Sharing files between people across the US.

David Kramer wrote:

> [snip]
>
>Sounds like a great case for Subversion.
>http://subversion.tigris.org/
>
>You can serve files through Apache, if you already have that set up, or
>use their dedicated svnserve daemon.  There are both CLI ang GUI clients
>for Windows, *NIX, and the Mac.
>
>Using a version control system means that not only is it easy to
>synchronize the master files to the shared repository, but also the
>freelancer's copies to the shared repository.

I would second David's opinion.  I just re-read about the SVN project,
and have tried setting up Web-DAV before (with older versions of
Apache).  Even though I have not used SVN, SVN is highly regarded (and
started off as  project to improve on CVS).  I understand that Web-DAV
support is more widespread and in recent 2.x Apache is also easier to setup.

 From my experience with CVS, it would serve you well.  And the windows
client TortoiseCVS[1] is just excellent, with right-click context-menu
integration into Windows Explorer.  This means that free-lancers who use
tools like HomeSite (which hooks into Windows Explorer to show you a
file-browser pane) are automatically integrated into CVS.  Of course if
there is anyone using Linux, then Cervisia[2] is a CVS gui client that
works very well.

SVN has TortoiseSVN [3]

To avoid headaches and hassles if you are the lone geek, you may want to
check for Application service providers who offer CVS / SVN server
hosting for a monthly fee, then all you have to do is setup the clients
and do the training.  There is such a company here in NH, but I don't
recall the name off the top of my head.

[1] http://tortoisecvs.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
[2] http://www.kde.org/apps/cervisia/
[3] http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/