cheaper Mandrake upgrade?

> How is your wife when it comes to linux knowledge? If she's like my
> wife, she enjoys the games, and she's learning more and more
> command-line stuff all the time. Would she be willing to give Debian a
> try? I got my wife hooked on Gentoo with the emerge tool, so maybe
> she'll like apt?

She knows the Unix command line and, in her previous life, was a
sysadmin for a Linux-based Web server.  However, she has better things
to do with her time than optimize her system to be as 31337 as possible.
  (So do I, but for some reason I occasionally succumb to the urge....)

I'm tempted to switch my own laptop from Debian stable to Ubuntu, but
that's my own toy, and if I end up spending the a whole week with an
unusable system while I suss out some obscure issue with X or Wi-Fi
configuration, that's my problem.  I don't want to switch the
distribution running on *her* machine unless there's a compelling reason
to do so.

--
"If John Kerry was the last best hope for the Republic ... then maybe
  it wasn't worth saving in the first place.  I don't believe that,