GIMP 2.2 splash screen contest

Brendan wrote:

>On Saturday 04 December 2004 02:07, Greg Rundlett wrote:
>

>>I don't think I'm going to win, but there is a contest to create the
>>splash screen for the newest version of the GIMP, so I entered.  You can
>>too if you get something in by Sunday.
>>

>>All the entries are here: http://gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi
>>My entry is here:
>>http://gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=2004120406421820315
>>

>That's actually really good. Was this designed with the Gimp?
>I would imagine so, but still....

Thanks!  I designed it in my head ;-) and created it with the GIMP v.
2.0.6 on Debian.

I started with a photo (wave) and a black and white scan (including page
crease in the middle) of a seagull that I found by doing a google image
search -intending to modify them so thoroughly that it would be covered
under fair use. Next I began putting things in place according to the
template dimensions given for the contest.  I had the idea to make the
seagull's wings like the apache feather, and I hand 'painted' the
scenery in the 'masthead' area.  Because of the different opacity
levels, I created a guide at the bottom of the masthead, and sliced the
pictures into various duplicate layers that I could work on.  The
orginal drawing was too wide, with the farmhouse being to the right of
the silo.  But it wasn't anything that the GIMP couldn't handle.  I got
out my virtual farmhouse moving tractor, and dropped it about 500 yds
left of where it stood originally.  I actually did everything by hand,
using GIMP tools rather than script-fu or effects..  The only effect
that was applied was a drop-shadow on the '2.2' text.