Comcast and SORBS

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:20:40PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> Fine, then get a static address.

As we have seen, this apparently doesn't solve the problem.

> If other networks still want to block you from sending mail to them
> (which apparently happens, since at least one Speakeasy customer
> said that they were blocked by some ISP's), that's still their
> business.

It shouldn't be.  E-mail is becoming just as important a means of
communication as the telephone; the ISP should not have the right to
block the sender just because they don't like their net address block,
just as phone companies can't block incoming calls from their
competitors (or for any reason, AFAIK).  I see this as no different --
the very same issue in fact.  Only the medium is different.

> I really don't see how requiring your *outbound* SMTP traffic to go
> through their servers interferes with your ability to run an SMTP
> server.

If I am running my own server, I can opportunistically encrypt the
SMTP session (when the peer supports it) so that my ISP can not see
the contents of my communications.  Forcing me to use their servers
takes that option away; they can always see the contents, unless I use
PGP.  I do use PGP whenever possible, but for most recipients they
just can't be bothered, even if they are concerned about their
privacy.

>    Besides, just because they /can/ log my packets doesn't mean they
>    will.
>
> True, but someone could still decide that they want to log all
> outbound SMTP traffic by capturing the MAIL From: and RCPT To:
> addresses (which is basically what most mailers log).

See above.

> Very, very few people really want to run their own SMTP servers,

Percentagewise, I'm sure that's true, but that doesn't mean it should
be impossible.

You don't see these issues as important; I do.  You place more
importance on protecting yourself from spam than on protecting your
freedom, which I find strange.  Therefore we can not agree.

-=-=-=-=-