Discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 31

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 12:08:13PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:52:59PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> > I would take exception to the lack of options.  I have Speakeasy
> > (which doesn't have such onerous terms)
>
> And also isn't that widely available.  I've known a number of people
> who wanted to get Speakeasy DSL, but were unable to.  They are the
> only high-speed provider in the area I am aware of which does not have
> such a TOS, so I have to agree with Rich that there generally are a
> lack of options...
>
> You just happen to be lucky enough to have the only real option
> available.

For the record, I'm in Somerville, and I investigated at least 4
different high speed providers before I settled on RCN (Verizon,
Comcast, RCN and Speakeasy)

> > Quite honestly, I'm a lot more bothered by these "reasonable" limits
> > on traffic volume and general no-server (ftp, web) policies than I am
> > by blocking of port 25 outbound.
>
> What's the difference?  You need the port unblocked to run a mail
> server...

That's actually not true. For about 3 years I ran a mail server on
Telocity (I think that's what it was called. Later turned into DirecTV
DSL) for between 3 and 5 domains, using their SMTP server as a smarthost
to avoid problems with AOL dropping emails from the static IP I had.
(mom was on AOL, so it mattered).

Now, that doesn't say anything about privacy concerns, etc, but it is
technically possible.