Bizarre CD-Rom trouble

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:39:22PM -0500, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> Josh Pollak wrote:
>
> > Ok, this is really puzzling me, and I'm wondering if anyone else has
> > seen this. It happens on both Linux and Windows, so its probably a
> > hardware issue, but I'm hoping someone can give me some tips anyway.
> >
> > I've got a Shuttle K41G XPC, one of those small 8x8 cube PC's. The
> > screwy thing is, no matter what CD rom drive I put in there, it refuses
> > to eject. Generally, it will eject the first time I put the drive in the
> > PC, but then it stops working. They will still read the CD's that are in
> > the drives, but I can't swap them. When I use eject -t (or right click
> > on the drive and select eject on windows), or if I just hit the eject
> > button I get the same result:
> >
> > The tray motor stutters a bit, the access light flashes for a minute,
> > and then 'autoplay' re-engages, as if the drive thinks it just loaded a
> > new CD, when in reality it just re-accessed the old one. Adding to the
> > oddity, whenever the drive does this access dance, my UPS beeps like its
> > being drained of power, or as if it has been disconnected from the wall
> > (which it hasn't).
> >
> > I've swapped drives repeatedly, and each time with the same result, it
> > will eject and work fine once or twice, and then it starts freaking out.
> > What could be causing this? I thought maybe the secondary IDE controller
> > was screwed up, but it recognizes and reads from the drives just fine,
> > so I'm really puzzled.
>
> One possibility is that the power supply in the box is marginal, and
> can't supply enough extra juice to operate the drive tray.
> Unfortunately, it's probably some sort of silly non-standard thing, so
> you can't just go over to MicroCenter and get a bigger one.

One other possibility (On Linux) is that some process has opened a file on
the CD resulting in all your eject commands being ignored until that
file is closed.

For example, if Nautilus or some other file explorer auto-magically
opens when you insert a CD-ROM, you sometimes can't eject till you close
that window.

Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/

~
~
~