OT: Open source voting machines and other gizmos (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

Bob George wrote:

> I think we should start smaller. How about an open-source toll booth
> system to replace the dysfunctional stuff (manned and unmanned) in use
> along the 'Pike?

So far as I've been able to tell, FastLane isn't particularly
dysfunctional, other than the fact that the Turnpike Authority has the
gall to try to get me to PAY for a piece of equipment that is designed
to save them time and money. The right thing for them to do would be to
hand the transponders out free to every car owner in the Commonwealth,
and then fire 90% of the toll takers. (You have to keep the other 10% to
collect from the tourists who don't live in New York, New Jersey,
Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, or Maine, all of which
use or are about to use compatible systems.)