[blu] Re: [blu] Re: OT: Open source voting machines and other gizmos (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:56:27PM -0500, Ben Jackson wrote:
> > As long as you have the toll system, this is true.  So - Eliminate
> > the tolls.
>
> I'm 100% against elimination of because, it correctly targets those who
> use the road, as opposed to those who don't. If I don't feel like paying,
> I don't have to use the damn things, as there are always alternate
> routes.

Even if you don't drive on the road, you probably "use" it.  Food that
you buy, and services that are delivered to you probably  are
delivered via the road.

Good road systems benefit everyone.  They improve the way the local
economy works.  Every civilization since the Romans has seen this to
be the case.  By contrast, big and resource-rich countries like the
former Soviet Union suffer economically for a lack of good roads --
their distribution channels are much more limited, and they have a
hard time delivering, say food, before it rots on the truck.

Roads should be paid for by taxes because everyone benefits.  Tolls
needlessly punnish a small percentage of users.  Taxes distribute the
cost evenly, lessening the burden while maximizing the benefit for
everyone.

> You're "Western MA turnpike users are paying for the Big Dig" complaint is
> also moot, because they will also be paying for the damn thing in taxes if
> the tolls are eliinated.

The difference is that now, the Turnpike users are paying an unfair
amount for their piece of the toll-based pie.

-=-=-=-=-