Bizarre CD-Rom trouble

On Nov 23, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Ed Frankenberry wrote:

> Josh Pollak wrote:
>
>> I've heard that using screws that are too long inside a cd drive can
>> mess them up. Can then permanently mess them up, or just temporarily?
>> I don't think the screws are very long, only 2 mm or so, but maybe
>> thats enough. I could imagine binding the tray closed with the screws
>> and the eject mechanism breaking, but I can't imagine that happening
>> repeatedly on different brand drives.

Two replies in one:

> I think you're onto something: this might be a mechanical problem.
> The directions for a similar small cube (made by MSI, not Shuttle) warn
> that only thin, low-profile drives are suitable for the tray to open

The Shuttle doesn't have a flap/trap door, the drive is exposed, but it
is a tight fit in the case.

> through the trap door.  If the CDROM tray senses too much pressure
> (like an obstruction), it will stop ejecting and retract.  If you
> can hear the motor whine, this is probably what's happening.

Thats what I figured, but its so strange (see below)

> Take a close look at the clearance around the tray to see if it can
> move freely.  You might also want to use short/shallow screws, in
> case they're catching on the tray mechanism.  Does the tray eject
> any better with the screws loosened or removed?

Ok, here is what I did: Removed drive that wasn't working. Put 'new'
drive it. Had trouble with it. Switched from the last of the ide
connectors to the closer connector. Verified it worked. Screwed it in.
Realized it wasn't working. Removed screws. Still doesn't work.

 From Bob Gorman:
> Random things to try:
> Try it without screws.  Hanging outside the box.  Check the
> Master/Slave/Cable Select settings.  A different cable, 80 pin?  Put
> it on the other IDE connector.  Try it in a different machine. A
> motherboard diagnostic utility.

Did without screws, did outside the box, the drive was slave, but I
switched it to master, tried the other ide connector.

I'm down to:

Try another machine
Try another ide cable (the one I'm using is the 'split' one that came
with the Shuttle case)

What's a good diagnostic tool?

-Josh