Observations on the SORBS FAQ (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

Rich Braun wrote:

> [...]
> No, I have no business.  I like to post to public forums.  I like to talk with
> friends.  I like to exercise my right to freedom of association, and I want to
> be able to do so without Big Brother watching over me the way so many gigantic
> corporations eavesdrop on people's desktop PCs.

I just spent a few minutes reviewing the SORBS Dynamic User/Host List
FAQ (http://dnsbl.sorbs.net/faq/dul.shtml) For frame of reference,
here's their take [emphasis mine]:

--- begin quote ---
It is a matter of debate as to whether a user at home should be running
their own mailserver, however, it is the opinion of SORBS that anyone
competent should be allowed to run their own mailserver, but all
outgoing mail *from dynamic address space* (and in a few cases static
space) should be made to flow through their ISP's mailserver.
--- end quote ---

So they don't seem to object to competently-run servers so much as
dynamic IP addressing which reduces accountability (my take anyhow).

They also state:
--- begin quote ---
End Users, you may send submission requests, however please be aware you
maybe asked to get your ISP to request the change.
--- end quote ---

Which I read as: If I don't want the address assigned by my ISP to be
blocked, I should ask them to make a request to SORBS. If your ISP
permits the running of servers, presumably they could be persuaded to
make this request.

--- begin quote ---
[...]  The Regional Internet Registry (RIR) Point of Contact (POC) can
request a listing or delisting of any address in his or her space. *The
only time this will be refused is when the Netblock information in the
RIR or the rDNS indicates clearly the addresses are Dynamic in nature.
(eg: 0.1.pool.example.com)*

[...] *Anyone else* may request delisting of addreses or netblocks
providing reverse DNS (rDNS) is set to indicate static assignment. This
is usually done by setting the PTR records to hosts that match the A and
MX records for the domain residing there."
--- end quote ---

They have some *basic* requirements for accountability to avoid flagging
of an address. However, SORBS itself does not PREVENT anything, nor does
SORBS dictate that email must flow over government- or ISP-monitored
servers. It merely indicates that mail is originating from a dynamic
address *lacking accountability controls*. WHAT to do with that
information is up to the users of SORBS. So a SORBS flag is no more or
less an invasion of privacy than noting the country of origin (not all
mail originating is Asia is spam!). I don't think the problem is the
tool (SORBS) so much as how it's being wielded by heavy-handed
organizations to handle spam.

As an aside, I do find it a bit contradictory to suspect messages as
being spam based on GEOGRAPHIC address of origin, yet decry the sue of
NETWORK address of origin for the same purpose.

In the ideal world, no one "taint" should result in labelling messages.

- Bob