Setting Up Local Caching DNS

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:12:46PM -0500, trlists at clayst.com wrote:
> I have named set up now with the files shown below, which I got from
> somewhere as a caching configuration.  I understood them when I
> installed them, and they seemed right, but as time goes on I'm not at
> all clear that the caching is working.
[SNIP]
>      options {
>              directory "/var/named";
>              forward first;
>              forwarders {
>                 ..... < DNS addresses for my ISP here>

I personally would get rid of the forwarders options...  These tell
your server to always ask your ISP's name servers for DNS queries.  If
your ISP's DNS servers respond slowly (this has been a problem in the
past with MediaOne/AT&T/Comcast) it could introuce unnecessary delays.
If you leave them in, you may as well just use your ISP's servers in
the first place.

Other than that, everything looks fine.  Don't forget that your name
server will need to query again after any given domain expires from
the cache.  The TTL value controls how long that is, and it is set by
the people running the domain, and not controllable by you.

-=-=-=-=-