Setting Up Local Caching DNS

I have a firewall on my home network running Slackware, with the 2.4.20
kernel and using iptables.

My questions are about how to set up named for caching (when I get this
sorted out I'll look to set up sendmail to handle outbound mail).

I have named set up now with the files shown below, which I got from
somewhere as a caching configuration.  I understood them when I
installed them, and they seemed right, but as time goes on I'm not at
all clear that the caching is working.  I often see what look like DNS
delays for domains I've accessed recently, and I also cannot find any
log entries for named even though the reference manual seems to say
that logging to syslog is enabled by default.  It is definitely running
as shown via ps, and the startup line in rc.inet2 starts it with no
parameters.

Does anyone see any problems with what's below?  Am I missing something
obvious that needs to be set here to enable the logging and see if it
is really caching?

I do know that I have not limited access to the DNS in the config file,
and probably should. However the iptables settings should take care of
any attempted external connections.

Thanks,

Tom

named.conf:

     options {
             directory "/var/named";
             forward first;
             forwarders {
                ..... < DNS addresses for my ISP here>
             };
     };

     zone "." IN {
             type hint;
             file "root.hints";
     };

     zone "localhost" IN {
             type master;
             file "localhost.zone";
             allow-update { none; };
     };

     zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
             type master;
             file "127.0.0";
             allow-update { none; };
     };

root.hints lists the root servers with IPs

localhost.zone is:

     $TTL    86400
     $ORIGIN localhost.
     @   1D IN SOA   @ root (