Local Source for DDR Memory

I need to buy some DDR400 (PC3200) RAM -- preferably 2x 512MB -- soon,
so normally I'd look for it locally and expect to pay a small premium
over discount online prices.  However the local retail sources seem
dramatically more expensive than online shops like newegg.com.  Not so
for other components, retail is more but not 50 - 80% more.  Memory
seems to be different.  And interestingly, the EBay RAM prices are
barely better than regular online stores, also not typical.

Any suggestions for retail locations with decent RAM prices as compared
to those available online?  Clues as to why memory is priced so
differently from the online sources?

Thanks,

--
Tom