X11 tricks

Stephen Adler <adler at stephenadler.com> writes:

> yup.. that was it! I'm running gnome out of the box from a Fedora Core 1
> install. My next bit of home work is to figure out where the -nolisten
> gets set...

On a related note, I present you with a couple of my favorite ksh/bash
shell aliases.  In particular, I find "srcfind" and "txtfind" to be
very handy.

In your case:

   txtfind /etc /usr | xargs grep '\-nolisten'

would probably yield interesting results.

Regards,

--kevin

# Author: kevin d. clark (alumni.unh.edu!kdc)

srcfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo srcfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(   -name \*.c \
                  -o -name \*.cc \
                  -o -name \*.h \
                  -o -name \*.hh \
                  -o -name \*.java \
                  -o -name \*.c++ \
                  -o -name \*.el \
                \) -print
  fi
}

writeablesrcfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo writeablesrcfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(   -name \*.c \
                  -o -name \*.cc \
                  -o -name \*.h \
                  -o -name \*.hh \
                  -o -name \*.java \
                  -o -name \*.c++ \
                  -o -name \*.el \
                \) \
                -exec test -w {} \; \
                -print
  fi
}

# find src files that are newer than a given timestamp file
newersrcfind () {
  if [ $# -lt 2 ] ; then
    echo Usage: newersrcfind file-with-timestamp directory1 directory2 ...
  else
    FILE=$1
    shift
    find "${@}" -newer $FILE \
                \(   -name \*.c \
                  -o -name \*.cc \
                  -o -name \*.h \
                  -o -name \*.hh \
                  -o -name \*.java \
                  -o -name \*.c++ \
                  -o -name \*.el \
                \) -print
  fi
}

# Finds text files in the specified directories.
# (Perl's criteria for
# this is to read the first 10% of a file and see if this mostly
# consists of printable ASCII characters)

txtfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo txtfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    perl -MFile::Find -e 'find(sub{print "$File::Find::name\n" if (-f && -T);}, @ARGV);' "${@}"
  fi
}

binfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo binfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    perl -MFile::Find -e 'find(sub{print "$File::Find::name\n" if (-f && -B);}, @ARGV);' "${@}"
  fi
}

cfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo cfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(   -name \*.c \
                  -o -name \*.cc \
                  -o -name \*.c++ \
                \) -print
  fi
}

hfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo hfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(    -name \*.h \
                \) -print
  fi
}

jfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo jfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(   -name \*.java \
                \) -print
  fi
}

elfind () {
  if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo elfind: please enter a directory list
  else
    find "${@}" \(   -name \*.el \
                \) -print
  fi