X11 tricks

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 02:19:52PM -0400, Stephen Adler wrote:
> I'm having an X11 kufuffle.... I want to go around the X11 tunnel
> which ssh sets up and do a direct X11 connection, (yes, unencrypted..)
> For some reason, it does not work on my laptop, but does work on a
> friends PC. What I do is the following
>
> LaptopPC $ echo $(hostname)
> LaptopPC.local.net
> $ xhost +
> $ ssh Desktop.local.net
> Desktop $ export DISPLAY=LaptopPC:0.0
> Desktop $ xclock
>
> nothing comes up. if I don't do the export command above to change
> the DISPLAY environment variable, xclock pops up. I've check to make
> sure I have no firewall running, and my hosts.allow and hosts.deny
> are empty. Can anyone else think of why I cant get xclock to pop up?

Your X server might not be set up to listen to TCP sockets - it's
possible that all your local clients (including the relay through ssh)
are connecting through Unix-domain sockets.

I suggest this because that's how my Gentoo system is running, which I
never even knew until I tried repeating your problem :-). Now, looking
at the process list ("ps ax"), I see this command line:

  /etc/X11/X -nolisten tcp ...

If that's the case with you, you'll need to track down who's responsible
for setting that option - unfortunately, I can't tell after a brief
exploration where that's being controlled.

Nathan