Eudora Replacement

David Kramer writes:

> That being said, the next time I have lots of free time (read: the
> next time I'm unemployed), I want to switch from uw-imap to another
> IMAP server that uses individual files, because I tend to do things
> like grep for messages a lot.  And I've hated uw-imap for a long time
> now.

Personally, I wouldn't wait that long.  In practice, I've found
uw-imap to be so slow that I more than made up my time by switching to
a Maildir-based IMAP server.

Here is some interesting data:

  http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

I happen to use Courier-IMAP.  I've tried Dovecot and it hangs for me
quite a lot.  I've also attempted to set up Cyrus (compiled from
source) but I could never get this to work (probably my own fault).

It shouldn't be that hard to convert your mboxes over to Maildir
format.  I can think of two easy methods:

1:  snarf the existing mail from your existing IMAP server using
fetchmail and the --folder flag

2:  run formail (comes with procmail) on your existing mboxes.  Use
the "-s" flag.

In both cases, send the resulting mail to procmail, which will create
your Maildirs for you:

    # I don't even know if this next line is necessary -- YMMV
    MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

    #   Procmail delivery rules:
    #     .../somefile    -> "somefile" is in mbox format
    #     .../foo/        -> Maildir format
    #     .../foo/.       -> MH format

    :0w
    * ^TO.*(discuss|announce)@blu.org