Eudora Replacement

miah mentions:
| Mozilla mail can basically do all that, and its cross platform (osx,
| irix, windows, linux, hpux, etc).  Thunderbird is the new replacement
| for mozilla mail, and it works well, but i don't trust it as well yet.

One advantage to thunderbird is that it's a separate process, so  you
can  use  it  while mozilla is hung on a download and vice-versa.  In
particular,  thunderbird  is  also  a  newsreader  (as  is  mozilla's
mailreader),  and  when you tell it to open a newsgroup with a lot of
messages, it goes zombie until it gets the message  list.   But  only
thunderbird is hung, so you can still use an of your browsers.

I like to install as many browsers as I can, for the same reason.  It
seems  that  all  the  browsers run as a single process with nultiple
windows, and all of them will hang unpredictably on some  web  pages.
If  you have several browsers running, you can switch to another when
this happens.

Someday, maybe, we'll have a browser (maybe a firefox clone) that can
run  each  window  in  a  separate  process,  and  we won't have this
problem.  But none of the browser developer groups seems to  see  the
need to do this yet.