why you should try MythTv

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:04:22PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> miah <jjohnson at sunrise-linux.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:37:12AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> For a front-end you don't need the HDD upgrade, the USB mod, or the
> >> tuner.  So we're talking about $215 for the box plus the cost of the
> >> TV.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >
> > Then it could probably be done cheaper by actually buying a low-end pc
> > and not require any modding.
>
> You can get a low-end PC with hefty-enough video output for under $215???
> Where?  URL, please!  Bonus points if you can point me to an inexpensive
> LCD display....
>
> -derek
<SNIP>

	I'm not sure how much the load differs from pulling mythtv recordings
versus Myth playing TiVo streams over NFS, but my little EPIA M9000 seems to
have the required horsepower.  I'm not sure about various other lines in the
EPIA family but the M10000s run ~$150 and they are slightly faster/better than
my board.  (Those are motherboard/CPU combos with onboard audio/video/TV-OUT,
so add memory and whatever local drive space you want.)

Frank