why you should try MythTv

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:12:25AM -0400, miah wrote:
> It does run linux, so its possible.
>
> -miah
>
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:53:58AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > miah <jjohnson at sunrise-linux.com> writes:
> >
> > > And I can get a Tivo for $99, xbox is $150 + tv tuner hardware.. +
> > > time, energy, effort.
> >
> > Would be cool if you could turn the TiVo into a myth box.  :)
> >
> > -derek
<SNIP>

	While it does run linux, my TiVo (series 1) is running it on a
54MHz IBM 403GCX (PPC) chip.  There isn't really much in the way of
processor power here.
	That said, I do plan on trying to integrate the TiVo into my new
MythTV setup.  I've hacked the tivo in various ways so pulling the video
and info off the TiVo shouldn't be much different than what I am doing
now.  In addition, the current mplayer will play the tivo streams that
I pull so there isn't even any transcode effort necessary.  The only real
effort that I can think of is putting the video's info into the MythTV db
and some sort of automated schedule for pulling the video off the TiVo.

Frank