why you should try MythTv

On Oct 6, 2004, at 11:34 AM, miah wrote:
> You generally only need a cable box to decode the expensive channels
> like HBO.  You should be able to get standard cable on any other tv
> without the box.

Maybe its just my TV that won't tune that high, but we watch a lot of
non-HBO channels above 100 or however high my TV tunes... like Speed
and Discovery2, Sundance, etc.

> Name 1 tv tuner that you can connect to the modded xbox.  Also,
> remember that the xbox is only a p3 733. By default only has 128megs
> of ram, and a 10gig hdd.  After all your modding, you'll end up with a
> slow, and more expensive pvr.

No, I said use the XBox as a FRONTEND, which doesn't need a tuner. Of
course the X-Box is an impractical back-end device.

> also, xbox's are $150 now, mod's are anywhere from $50 - $100, my
> <snip>
> There are easier ways to do this than involving a xbox.

Yes, for a backend I agree, but the previous person wanted distributed
MythTV frontends around his house, and for that I think an XBox might
be sufficient, it wouldn't need storage or a tuner, so as long as you
can software decode your streams with a 733 mhz cpu, you'd be fine.