TiVo hacking and Free Stuff

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:20:08PM -0400, Josh Pollak wrote:
> Linux content:
>
> Has anyone hacked a TiVo? I want to set mine up to not encrypt the
> files and allow me to copy them off the drive to my PC for burning. I
> can't find a good tutorial on the web.

<SNIP>

> -Josh

	I've hacked my TiVo for increased space (new drive), a web interface,
and an ftp server to pull the video off the TiVo.  The various hacks (and how
to implement them) depend on what model you have so the best thing to do is
probably head over to the two biggest TiVo oriented websites that I know of,
tivocommunity.com and dealdatabase.com Tivo forums.  The dealdatabase site
tivo forums are where to get your video extraction info, the tivocommunity
site does not allow discussion of extraction but does have a closer
relationship with TiVo itself.

	Hit those two sites, most of your questions have probably already been
answered at least once.

	A quick description of what I have going...  I have an original Sony
Series 1 TiVo which I've upgraded with a larger drive (60GB) and a network card.
I am running TivoWebPlus which is basically a web interface to your TiVo, allows
you to check its status (what channel it is on, if it is recording, how much
space is used in various ways, how much is free, etc), search for new shows,
make / change / delete recordings, todo's, and season passes, and it also allows
you to change certain behind the scenes features (like the resolution and bit
rate settings for your recordings).  I also am running mfs_ftp which allows me to
ftp to the tivo and download videos to my PC.  (I usually put them on my NFS
server so that I can use an EPIA mini-ITX box with a small tv that I've recently
setup on the bar in the kitchen, handy for watching things while in the kitchen.)

	I'll probably setup the Tivo Control Station soon...  This is basically a
way to request various preconfigured actions to be taken on the TiVo via special
remote control sequences.  For example, you could throw stock quotes or nfl scores
up on the screen, turn the tivo closed captioning on and off, etc.

Frank