SuSE 9.1 - No graphical login

Sounds like it's time for a lesson in X setup.

Some keystrokes that will come in handy
Ctrl - Alt - -
Ctrl - Alt - +

toggle through list of resolution settings, set in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or
file with similar name)

Ctrl - Alt - Backspace
kill X, or if running in always-on-X runlevel, respawn X

/etc/X11/XF86Config (or file with similar name)
place where you need to make changes to your X settings

Now, you need to do research.

You need to find out the actual specs of your monitor, probably using
Google. You need to know the horizontal and vertical sync rates, and then
see if they match what are set in your settings. You need to find out
whether your video card has the ability to do as much as 1280x1024, and if
not, try something that works, then build your way up to those higher
settings.

This might come in handy:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO.html

Not yet having your X settings perfected is NOT a good reason to install
Windows instead. Frankly, this is a fairly old system, and systems that
were better put together might have auto-probed successfully from the
install cdrom.