Bootable CD w/OS for firewall

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, miah wrote:
> I really wish laptop batteries didn't suck as much as they do.  Every
> laptop that I've ever had that I've left plugged in for months at a
> time has a battery failure.  If I'm never using the battery, but its
> installed wtf is the battery going dead?  It seems to me like the
> laptop doesn't detect 'battery full' condition too well and tries to
> charge it constantly thus killing it off.  I'm no EE person though and
> don't know how truthful that is.
> And seriously, $200 for a battery is insane, I really wish they'd

LiIon batteries are a lot better than NiCd or NiMh, but your point is
valid.  I prolly would not put the battery in the laptop.  Because for the
replacement cost of one laptop battery, you can buy a kickass UPS unit.
Totally rediculous.

> standardize on a form-factor or that non-vendor replacements were
> actually cheaper.

That's the major problem with laptops.  They are made of all proprietary
components, except for the memory and hard drive and CPU.  A standardized
laptop battery shape would force the hands of the designers to certain
fixed form factors for the laptop itself.

There are now some external battery packs on the market that are way cool
though.  You have a thin flat panel that the laptop sits on top of, and it
plugs into the power jack.  Very long life.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  I can write everything I know about administering sendmail in the
DK KD  inside of a matchbook with a dull crayon.
DDDD                                               Patrick Norton on Tech TV