Bootable CD w/OS for firewall

Bob Gorman wrote, On 09/16/2004 07:03 PM:
> At 02:14 PM 9/15/2004, Drew Taylor wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of a low-power, fanless machine rather than an full blown
>> PC.
>

> This got me thinking, so I did a quick surf on newegg and it appears that
> one can put together a low-end small-form-factor box (Shuttle) with three
> NICs for about $300?  Not exactly fan-less, but it would be cute and small,
> and should make a great router.

1) Look closely at what comes with those Shuttle boxes.  They are more
bare-bones in that price range than most people think.

2) They are far from quiet.  Smaller chassis means the fans have to work
harder to remove heat.  I have a friend who bought one because she thought
they were cute.

For $300, though, you could pick up an old slow laptop and some PCMCIA NICs.
That would run cool and quiet, be small, and draw less power.  And if you lost
power, it would keep on running.  Make one of the cards WiFi and you have an
access point, too.

DDDD   "It's also recommended that when you introduce a new cat into a
DK KD  household, you spend a lot of time petting the old cats in the presence
DKK D  of the new one, paying as much attention to them as you can.  This
DK KD  calms them down and helps them understand that they're not being
DDDD   outsourced."                               - Joe Michael Straczynski