cdrecord pblm

>when i first started to use cdrecord, with the internal
>cdr-rw drive in my ibm 600e laptop, under rh9.0, it didn't
>work, so i was advised to insert the command hdd=ide-scsi
>on the kernal boot line of grub.  i did this and all was
>fine.  cdrecord worked.

If you choose to use scsi-emulation, read the howto from tldp.org:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

While a bit outdated it should get you running.  It looks from your
email that you might not have loaded the correct modules.  That's all in
the HOWTO.  The ATAPI support under Fedora Core 2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.3) is
pretty decent.  Might be a good reason to upgrade.

~Matt