cdrecord pblm

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:18:59PM +0000, dan moylan wrote:

> when i first started to use cdrecord, with the internal
> cdr-rw drive in my ibm 600e laptop, under rh9.0, it didn't
> work, so i was advised to insert the command hdd=ide-scsi
> on the kernal boot line of grub.  i did this and all was
> fine.  cdrecord worked.
>
> dmesg gave the following:
>
> Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
> ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
>
> Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> sr0: Hmm, seems the drive doesn't support multisession CD's
>
> on the same machine, under FC2, trying to use cdrecord, i
> tried the same ploy, but cdrecord does not find the drive.
>
> dmesg gives:
>
> Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb quiet
> ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
>
> (no Attached scsi CD-ROM . . . )

The hdd=ide-scsi invocation is a request to the kernel to
overlook the IDE/ATAPI nature of the drive, and use an
alternative driver for it, one which emulates SCSI over ATAPI. I
would suggest that your new machine is lacking one or more of:
ide-scsi
scsi-generic
and a few similar modules.

Try modprobe ide-scsi, see if that gets you anywhere.

-dsr-