emacs question: suppressing backslashes

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 02:39:56AM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
> (And there are all the jokes about how emacs isn't an editor, it's
> an operating system. ;-)

Not only that, but an OS with a lot of bundled applications,
utilities, and development tools.

I have always hated emacs, but I worked for a long time in an
emacs-shop and my fingers learned it.

Personally, I prefer graphical environments, but Apple abandoned their
habit of innovation and reliability.  So it is ironic I am heading
towards character interfaces.  But it turns out screen is pretty damn
useful.  The graphical approach would be vnc, but it requires so much
more bandwidth.  (I am using my cellphone as my internet connection
right now.  And though the latency is painful, it is plenty fast.)

Too bad there aren't any emacs bigots on the list jumping to its
defense and telling me how to do this.

-kb