VoIP (VoiceWing) & Firewalls Help

Matt Brodeur wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:21:45AM -0400, Matt Brodeur wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 02:14:06PM -0400, Timothy M. Lyons wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone out here successfully setup a VoIP TA (Specifically
>>>Verizon VoiceWing / Cisco ATA 186) behind a firewall?
>>
>>   I passed your question along to a friend of mine who is (IIRC)
>>running a Cisco ATA (Vonage) behind his firewall.
>

>    OK, so the bad news is that with Vonage's VOIP service you wouldn't
> need to do anything special.  If you're behind a stateful firewall the
> ATA's SIP keepalive will keep the necessary hole open.
>    If it's not working with Verizon's service then they must be doing
> things differently, or your firewall isn't establishing states
> properly.

I just had a thought: you mentioned you're using Verizon. Are you using
their DSL service as well? (Sorry, I don't have your first post). If so
I believe you're probably using PPPoE, which will turn off the
connection after a certain period. If your router has an option to do
some sort of a PPPoE keepalive, try turning it on. Maybe the connection
is going down which prevents the ATA from doing the SIP keepalive. Just
a thought...

Drew
Drew Taylor                 *  Web development & consulting
Email: drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
Web  : www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres