More: Big BLU - Super Computer

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 10:22:45AM -0400, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> There seems to be some spark of interest in doing the project. Lets assume
> we can get the bits and pieces together, we need to address:
>
> where it will be?
Wherever we can get free space.  My barn is open if nothing better comes
along.  It has a solid floor so weight is not an issue, but has no AC,
no racks and the power is 100 amp service.  Also is quite dusty!
(probably should choice of last resort) Can run 100 MB to it but the
net access is via comcast cable residential service.  NOT 100 MBIT

> who manages it?
Physical proximity may be important because of the nature of donated
hardware. It may need resetting, unless we get remote power cycle
gadgets.  Other than that someone can nominate themselves to dedicate
some portion of their life to it.

> what sort of access?
ssh connection.  can do terminal, X-Windows and VNC style cnxns over
ssh.

> What does it do?
Contest time!

All good questions:

Let me add - how do we pay for the power and cooling?  (Unless it is donated
along with the space)

> We could have contests for projects, where people submit suggestions for a
> project, and the group votes.
Second the motion!

> I think this could be real fun. What do y'all think?

Absolutely!

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"