Big BLU Super Computer

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 10:23:04AM -0400, miah wrote:
> Have you not been reading anything I've posted?

Yes, I have.
I didn't know that meant I was required to agree with you. Sorry. ;-)

If I am required to agree with you just because I read your posts, let
me know so I can do something appropriate in my procmailrc. :)

Perhaps it would help if you stopped rebutting your own points.

For example:
> why go through the pain of setting up a cluster ..?
> Experience is good and all,

> How about doing something worthwhile instead?
> Experience is good and all,

Testing it to see if its working correctly easy. We can use a small task
for that.

Selecting a major task for it will only be a problem because there are
so many possible applications.

I suggest a poll or a vote after a sufficient number of candidates have
been proposed and seconded. (Without an independent seconding we might
get WAY too many candidates for a vote to make any sense, we would have
to hold run-offs.)

For example, we could trot over to Beth-Israel hospital and contact the
myriad folks involved in the Harvard-Beth Israel Bio-chem research over
there and offer them our cycles to help do computation for their protein
crystallography needs.

We could post to askslashdot.  I'm sure we would get "a few" responses.

Excellent Parallel computing resource: Dr schaller's page at RIT.
http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ncs/parallel.html

scroll down to section on clustering.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"