endless compression

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:

> Not the point, if you have a repeatable compressor, then compression ratio
> is largely unimportant. If you can compress something 3% over and over
> again, then you can make it really small.

Yes, and if you have a perpetual motion machine, then Middle Eastern oil
reserves are largely unimportant.

Assume that you have a "repeatable compressor" that will losslessly
shrink any string of bits by 3% every time it is run.  What happens when
it receives a 100-bit input?  There are 2^100 possible inputs, but only
2^97 possible outputs.  Therefore, there must be *some* inputs for which
this compressor cannot produce a 97-bit output--indeed, there must be
some inputs for which this compressor cannot produce a 99-bit output.
Therefore, this repeatable compressor cannot exist.  QED.

(If nobody else is interested in this argument, I'll let Mark have the
last word here.)

--
"Remember that "freedom" is not just a word. It is a squishy,
  concept-lite word which invokes positive feelings." --Fafblog