fetchmail error

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 01:36:20PM +0000, dan moylan wrote:
> with eth0 up fetchmail runs fine.  when i bring it down and
> bring ppp0 up, i get the following:
>
>   mizar:moylan:~/msg/2004 [1034] fetchmail
>   2 messages for jdm34 at pop.rcn.com (7170 octets).
>   reading message jdm34 at pop.mail.rcn.net:1 of 2 (4163 octets)
>      .fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 sorry, that domain isn't
>      in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
>   fetchmail: can't even send to moylan!
>   ... flushed
>   reading message jdm34 at pop.mail.rcn.net:2 of 2 (3007 octets)
>      .fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 sorry, that domain isn't
>      in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
>   fetchmail: can't even send to moylan!

I disagree with GAF...  I don't think this is a firewall problem.  I
can't say for sure, but those error messages appear to be SMTP errors
generated by your local MTA/MDA on moylan.  What are you using for
MTA/MDA software on your system?  Have you looked at your mail logs?
Chances are, something will turn up there which may indicate what the
problem is.

  From RFC 821:

  553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed

Now exactly what that means for you, I have no idea.  5.7.1 seems to
be a status returned when relaying is denied.  One possible reason for
this is that your DNS is broken (i.e. the address you are delivering
from does not resolve properly when your PPP connection is up).

HTH

-=-=-=-=-