steel-wool panty liners = Java?

> This is reflected by two of my biggest software development rants of
> mine over the past near-decade:
>
> - Schools today, even technical ones, teach programming languages, but
> not the arts of software design or development.

Having just graduated a couple years ago, I find this statement broadly
ignorant.  I appologize if you recently graduated and had a different
experience, however, most of my friends at other schools agree in the
manner in which their courses were taught.  I graduated from a SUNY
school with a BS in CS, and our curriculm was heavy focused on
programming theory, rather than languages.  Language specific classes
were only introductory.  Most classes were taught with psuedo-code.  You
don't need specifics to analyze runtimes of certain algorithms, and the
principals apply across the board.  Same with design patterns.  The
point, or so we were told, is so that we can graduate and be adaptable
to any language we're asked to program in.

~Matt