Adobe Illustrator

Gimp is a replacement of Photoshop rather than Illustrator. The whole rastor
versus vector thing that somebody else mentioned. But the gimp-print tools
are exceptional if they need advanced printer control.

Another option besides the ones mentioned is Scribus.

I don't know if it does the actual vector-based manipulation, but it does page
layout, saves to pdfs, etc. that you need from any good page layout program.
It's a good replacement for Adobe Acrobat and can do some of the things that
Adobe InDesign does.

My personal finding is that people who do _SERIOUS_ graphic arts stuff get
very comfortable and proficient with their tools, and very much resent
anything that requires them to retrain with tools where they may be less
efficient.

This person may run into immediate trouble with font managament, which is
something Windows still does with less frustration than linux. (or maybe I'm
just less comfortable with the tools)

--
David Backeberg (dave at microway.com)
Microway Technical Support - http://www.microway.com