[OT]VHS in the UK

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 20:09, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> This is a bit OT, but I was wondering if VHS tapes could be used in the
> UK. My gut feel is no since we use NTSC and Europe uses PAL (I think).

The short answer is no, an NTSC VHS tape won't play in a PAL VHS
player hooked up to a PAL tv. I believe the physical hardware
and the media form-factor is identical in both cases; if I understand
correctly, the difference is essentially just the frame rate and
resolution of the signal.

So an NTSC vcr wouldn't be compatible with a PAL tv, and a PAL vcr
wouldn't work with an NTSC tv. However, I have seen high-end
multi-format vcrs that can play both formats; in the US these would
have to transcode the PAL signal in order to pass an NTSC signal to
the tv, and the equivalent in the UK would have to do the reverse.

Also, I'm not sure if PAL is everywhere in Europe; I was under the
impression that it was just the UK.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9