need help - how to do between lilo and grup

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
Dava Peters <gameslover987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have Redhat 7.1 system and try to install Redhat ES
> 3.0.
> My question is how can I run lilo and grup at the same
> time? or How can I switch between 7.1 and ES 3.0? I
> don't know how lilo and grup can work together.
> Does anyone with experience with this.
You cannot run LILO and GRUB on the same system. GRUB will work fine
with RH 7.1 in a dual boot situation even though 7.1 does not contain
GRUB.

the real advantage of GRUB is that it is a 2 stage boot such that it
only needs to know where it's stage2 boot is. Once stage2 is running, it
can point to any kernel at boot time, where LILO must know before boot
where the running kernels are.

Once you have installed GRUB as part of the ES install, you might have
the following configuration:
/dev/hda1 RH 7.1 /boot
/dev/hda5 RH 7.1 /
/dev/hda6 ES /boot
/dev/hda7 ES /

GRUB would be installed in the ES /boot directory. I usually do not make
/boot as a separate partition, but it does not matter. GRUB stage 2
would be included in /dev/hda6 under /boot/grub.

Once ES is installed, then you might add the folowing line to
/boot/grub/menu.lst:
title RH71
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 <any other options>
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd

The hd parameter is zero based such that hda is hd0, and partition 1 is
also 0.

I generally do this when I install a new version of Linux on an
additional drive. I am not familiar with the ES installer as to whether
it gives you the ability to point to other systems.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group