Detecting Memory Leaks -- the right solution

   From: Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
   Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:58:06 -0400

   But, even if you do not successfully preempt malloc in the system run
   time libraries, the glibc malloc is still maintaining a separate
   freelist. But, the whole key to this is to look at memory allocations
   occuring in library code. Purify could instrument the libraries on some
   platforms, but I'm not sure that valgrind can.

Valgrind doesn't seem to have any trouble with this -- it detects
memory leaks in the X libraries, for example.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton