now, we can help a man who has worked hard caring for the departed

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:23:31 -0400
Eric <235u at comcast.net> wrote:

> On a serious note, I really love learning about computers and the net.
> I have a vague concept of "freedom" (really don't like the government
> or their corporate masters monitoring our behavior online) but there's
> so many scam artists and other types of dirtbags around, I often have
> trouble reconciling my beliefs with the real world.  About 2 weeks ago
> I was playing chess online at a site with an international crowd and
> people of all ages and there's been some jerks (who can't play chess
> worth a lick) getting on there and trying to scam people (IM while
> playing).  Not cool with kids around.  Part of me says monitor and
> crush the scum, another part worries that folks with unpopular views
> will get targeted.  At times it's depressing...  People suck.
Good point. SPAM, Viruses and outright scams are making the Internet a
dangerous place. But, I would hope that governments do not take away our
freedom because of it. And, our freedoms are under attack. Several of
the attacks on the Open Source movement in general would restrict the
use of Open Source software, companies like SCO are attacking free Unix
systems by law suit and innuendo, and Microsoft is publishing a lot of
FUD.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group