economical laptop

Kalyan Vaidyanathan wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to get a functional
> laptop.
>
>  I've never done anything like this before, but am willing to learn.  I
> would like to know if building one from parts is cheaper than getting a
> regular laptop that I can upgrade over time (more RAM, bigger harddisk
> etc.).  If building from parts, are there any recommendations of where I
> should start from?
>  Ideally I'd like about 60GB harddisk, 512MB ram, >2GHz processor.  The
> key requirement is a wireless network card so that I can use the laptop
> anywhere at home.  Software, I plan to stay with linux.  I've only
> worked with RH9.

Building a laptop completely from parts is impossible. The parts aren't
even sold separately.

If you're looking for a low-end laptop, but want a big hard disk and
lots of RAM, it may be more economical to upgrade those items yourself
than to buy a laptop with them, however. Some manufacturers only offer
the adequate hard disks with high-end systems, and pre-built retail
laptops tend not to have enough RAM. Check online shopping sites such as
pricewatch.com for hard disk prices.