economical laptop

Kalyan Vaidyanathan wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to get a functional
> laptop.
>
>  I've never done anything like this before, but am willing to learn.  I
> would like to know if building one from parts is cheaper than getting a
> regular laptop that I can upgrade over time (more RAM, bigger harddisk
> etc.).  If building from parts, are there any recommendations of where I
> should start from?
>  Ideally I'd like about 60GB harddisk, 512MB ram, >2GHz processor.  The
> key requirement is a wireless network card so that I can use the laptop
> anywhere at home.  Software, I plan to stay with linux.  I've only
> worked with RH9.

You can't really build a laptop yourself from parts, because they all use
their own funky shaped parts, unlike desktops.

Most laptops take one of a few standard sizes of RAM and hard drive.  There
are (IIRC) two heights of 2.5" hard drives.  When I bought my new Thinkpad, I
compromized and bought an empty hard drive caddy for the ultrabay slot for $40.

Be aware that while you may be able to buy stripped and upgrade these later,
but you will probably be paying more in the long run.  That may be fine with
you, but do the math.

The best way to get a laptop cheap is to buy one used from someone upgrading
or a liquidating business, or a refurb from the manufacturer.  Make sure you
get to play with any used laptops you buy (refurbs from the manufacturer come
with a warranty).

Last piece of advice: if you need to do it cheaply, make sure don't buy more
laptop than you need.  If you are looking for >2GHz, you will probably not
find any good deals from upgraders.