Fedora vs Mandrake vs Suse: Linux Distros Compared

I had the same problem with xmms. My conclusion was that they shipped xmms
with the mp3 section deliberately broken so as not to get into some kind of
copyright trouble. That's just my guess, I didn't research that. I ended up
pulling down the source tarball or mp3 codec, can't remember, but that fixed
it. I've now trashed that install.