I just *had* to comment.

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:15:07PM +0000, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> > I'm telling you that I worked in 4 environments that were set up not
> > exactly like, but similar to, what MIT did for basically the same
> > reasons, and you're ruling them out because they don't conform to your
> > very narrow idea of what an environment needs to be like.  That's 4
> > out of 4 environments that I worked in.  But no, none of them were all
> > Unix.
>
> I don't require that they be all Unix; just that they be
> primarily Unix. This is, after all, BLU. I'm not particularly
> interested in the administration of large groups of Windows
> machines

Whether you're interested in them or not is not relevant to the
discussion at hand, which is, if I may remind you, whether central
registry systems are workable.  Derek provided a fantastic example of
a case where it isn't: distributed environments.  Mentioning Athena
and AFS served only to solidify the example in the readers mind;
however the specifics of the implementation of them matter to this
discussion only insomuch as it is a distributed computing environment.

You then apparently made the assertion that only MIT and people from
MIT are interested in implementing large-scale distributed
environments.  Your assumption in this, like your strange estimates of
how many admins are needed to support 1000 /client/ machines, seems to
be based on your special-case experience managing a large server farm,
which are obviously not client machines.  Real clients with real users
have very different needs...

I provided 4 examples of environments which are sufficiently like the
case of MIT, for purposes of this discussion, to provide additional
support to the idea that a central registry for all configuration data
is not suitable for distributed environments, and to give support to
the idea that many organizations would want something like what Athena
provides.  You're going on about the roles of machines, which as near
as I can tell, is not at all related to this discussion.  At this
point, I have no idea at all what point you're trying to make, or even
what you're talking about, so I give up on this discussion.

-=-=-=-=-