I just *had* to comment.

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:28:11AM -0400, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:04, miah wrote:
> > This is the stupidest thing.. I don't know why anybody would waste
> > their time with it.
>
> Can you qualify why exactly this is "the stupidest thing"?  I can see
> pros and cons to the project, but to just pronounce it "stupid" out of
> hand seems rather reactionary.  Admittedly, it's a little unnerving to
> think of having something that close to windows behind the scenes, but
> from glancing at the project web page, it sounds like they are trying to
> away with a lot of the things that make the Windows registry bad.

Oh, it's not *the* stupidest thing. But there is a much better
system available that only needs a little standardization to
work extremely well.

I refer to, of course, the ~/.* system. If there were a library
system much like GNU's getopts which dealt with reading and
writing dotfiles in a standard syntax, we would have every
advantage of a registry without any of the disadvantages.

-dsr-

--
If they want to install software with "one click", they should install
a word processor.  Installing a mail server without understanding can