BLU lists - mailman queue test

On Friday 28 May 2004 12:44 am, John Abreau wrote:
> I found that there were 2420 messages in mailman's queue on the BLU
> server. On the theory that this may be the reason mail isn't getting
> to the discuss list, I stopped postfix, renamed mailman's qfiles
> directory and created an empty one, and restarted postfix. This message
> is to test if that was the problem.

Evidence: Ah.  The other day, when I was doing *my* test, I tail -f'ed the
mail log while sending stuff, I kept seeing the same delivery attempts over
and over.

Evidence: When I sent my own mail from my server to all wind at blu.org members,
there were many dozens of failures.

Theory: What is happening is that there are so many failure attempts on the
WIND list  (and maybe others) that are waiting their 4 days before removal
from the queue, that the mail server is being starved so it can't get *good*
emails out fast enough.

Maybe we could copy the mail queue somewhere else and wipe it out, then slowly
(one a minute) inject queue entries back into the live directory from the
backup.

We should also do a validation of email addresses on the list:
- Remove the WIND list from the aliases table
- Make a temporary WIND mail account
- Send a single individual message to each member
- Cull the failed addresses from the mailing list (many dozens)
- re-establish the list

--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD